L.S. Brinker served as Construction Manager for the restoration of the historic Women’s City Club building in Detroit. Opened to the public in 1919, the Women’s City Club was founded to provide women’s groups in the city a place to meet, network and collaborate, which it did in this location for almost 60 years, until being later utilized as a concert venue and eventually closed in the late 80’s.
Now, over 100 years later, led by Project Manager, Heather McClure, L.S. Brinker oversaw the complete restoration of this nationally recognized historic structure into 46,000 square feet of office space and 12,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space. Many of the building’s striking details have been carefully restored, such as the brick masonry, first-floor storefronts, historic windows, the curved staircase and stylized tiling by the famed Pewabic Pottery, which was founded in Detroit in 1904. The building also has three ornately designed drinking fountains, each bearing Pewabic’s signature style, and a 75-foot swimming pool on the main floor featuring ornate peacock blue Pewabic tiles on the pool ledge, frieze and floors.