Superintendent, L.S. Brinker
- 3633 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, MI (Brinker Main Office)
- Job Sites (As Required)
General Position Summary
The Superintendent is responsible for ensuring that all trade work meets the specified project scope and schedule, including material and equipment delivery. He or she will supervise and coordinate multiple subcontractors to sequence construction activities while monitoring work performance and trade productivity. Superintendents work directly with the subcontractors and owner representatives to develop clear benchmarking of the project from the start, and will assist estimators in scheduling and conducting post-bid meetings to ensure that the best subs are chosen for a given project. Superintendents must possess key knowledge of construction materials, methods, building codes, job site safety according to OSHA/MIOSHA standards, quality control and productivity.
Superintendents are the primary safety representative in the field, and will maintain a daily log of activities, enforce safety policies, and ensure compliance with all environmental and safety aspects on the job site. Superintendents will assist in the development of project schedules and logistics plans, and will ensure that trades are properly coordinated and performing in compliance with those plans and expectations of quality. Superintendents are exposed to all phases of building construction from Start-Up to Close-Out and must be adept at working with all project stakeholders to ensure the highest quality of performance, and ultimately, the utmost in client satisfaction.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct project safety meetings and ensure safety compliance, coaching and enforcement
- Participate in the development of project master schedules, preliminary schedules and logistics plans
- Monitor daily activities to ensure compliance with work plan and communicate the work plan as needed to subcontractors, project personnel and stakeholders
- Assure trade coordination through proper documentation and solve coordination interference with workarounds as needed
- Hold weekly coordination meetings with subcontractors and foremen to ensure compliance with schedule and performance requirements
- Understand permitting and inspection requirements, utility requirements and sequence of construction for a given project
- Compile rolling punch lists for all work performed and ensure that all tests, inspections and acceptances are properly conducted and documented
- Conduct contractor Kick-Off/Pre-Installation Meetings to plan and communicate quality requirements, training and benchmarks
- Conduct weekly scheduling meetings with subcontractors, forecast possibly delays, plan and schedule workarounds and report progress against plans
- Ensure that all contract requirements of subcontractors, as they relate to the field, are being met
- Assure proper photo documentation of project
- Coordinate and communicate change orders with subs & suppliers
- Plan and coordinate throughout a project to minimize punch list requirements and closeout duration
- Produce trend reports, formulate & implement corrective measures
- Provide leadership in motivating the project team and in maintaining a positive work environment
- Participate in the development of presentation materials and assume a leadership position in a formal proposal or interview
Job Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of construction safety techniques, safety standards, materials, methods of installation, material characteristics, and installation requirements
- Computer knowledge and full proficiency with Procore, Bluebeam, Timberscan, MS Project and Microsoft Office applications
- Working knowledge of Trade Contracts
- Experience with project design phase
- Ability to read reports generated by Project Manager and Project Engineer
- Ability to meet all project data reporting requirements
- Timely, organized, efficient processing of paperwork, documents and reports
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to handle conflict
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work productively with project team members
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or equivalent construction technology degree
- 7 to 10 years of industry experience
- MIOSHA 30 training
- CPR and First Aid training certificate
- Certified training in safety related topics
The Superintendent derives his or her authority from, and performs all duties with guidance from, the Senior Project Manager, Project Manager, Senior Project Superintendent or Operations Manager of L.S. Brinker.
Work Environment Job/Conditions
This job may be performed in the office or on the jobsite and requires frequent sitting (often working on a computer), frequent walking, standing, bending, and reaching. Due to computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists. He/she must be able to navigate the jobsite and is expected to be able to comply with all safety regulations in the office and on the jobsite.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by President.
Use the form below to submit your interest in this position and please be sure to attach your resume. In the event that your resume is selected for further review, a representative of Brinker will contact you to proceed with the application and interview process.