Senior Estimator, L.S. Brinker
- 3633 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, MI (Brinker Main Office)
General Position Summary
The Senior Estimator is responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients under the CM at Risk guaranteed maximum pricing structure as well as select bid pursuits. Responsibilities also included working with our general trades, electrical, glass/glazing and flooring companies, project management teams and subcontractors in the development of schematic, design development and construction document estimates. This includes soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications for various categories of work including both large ($30-$100M) and small (less than $10M) projects.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads Estimating Team with timely roll-out and execution of the entire estimate deliverable process
- Conduct initial analysis of drawings and specifications to ensure required documentation is present and determine scope of work
- Develop full-scope estimates based on Bid-Build, Design-Build or CM/GC construction documents
- Critically analyze bid documents and understand risk and opportunities and articulate those to management
- Organize the bid team, providing leadership and direction with regards to means and methods, schedule and strategy
- Participate in technical proposals for Alternative Delivery projects
- Provide detailed quantity take off of specific trades when required
- Create Staffing and General Conditions/Requirements
- Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required
- Develops unit costs accurately
- Performs technical/plan review when required
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload
- Gather and monitor actual cost vs. estimated cost, maintaining project cost history
- Contribute to and maintain subcontractor database and subcontractor prequalification
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations
Job Skills & Abilities
- Knowledgeable of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, interior finishes, exterior building wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems
- Able to manage multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask
- Knowledge and efficiency in the following Software: Microsoft Office, Bluebeam, AutoCAD 3D, Takeoff Software
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software such as OnScreen Takeoff, Sage (Timberline), Building Connected Pro, spreadsheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook)
- Possess good organizational skills and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, Engineering, with 10+ years of preconstruction/estimating and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects
- USGBC LEED accreditation preferred
The Senior Estimator derives his or her authority from, and performs all duties with guidance from, the Vice President of Preconstruction and the Executive Vice President of L.S. Brinker.
Work Environment Job/Conditions
This job may be performed in the office or on the jobsite and requires frequent sitting (often working on a computer), frequent walking, standing, bending, and reaching. Due to computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists. He/she must be able to navigate the jobsite and is expected to be able to comply with all safety regulations in the office and on the jobsite.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by President.
Use the form below to submit your interest in this position and please be sure to attach your resume. In the event that your resume is selected for further review, a representative of Brinker will contact you to proceed with the application and interview process.